Booklice (Psocids) are very common but harmless household pests. They are not caused by poor hygiene as they are just as common in scrupulously clean homes.
These fast moving, tine, cream-coloured or light brown insects, only 1mm long, occur in small numbers in many premises.
Booklice stick, pearl- coloured eggs are cement them to damp surfaces. Instead of a larval stage, the insect matures through four recognisable nymphal stages, taking about a fortnight to become adult.
Booklice are always associated with damp. It could be caused by new plaster drying out, condensation from not having enough ventilation in the kitchen/ bathroom, or a leaking water pipe.
Booklice feed on mould caused by damp conditions. They are also believed to feed on microscopic moulds that grow on the glue of book-bindings or on damp cardboard, damp food (especially cereals) or o on the surfaces close to damp plaster inside buildings, which is very common with brand new houses.